I love taco salad but it doesn't feel worth eating if I am going to be hungry still after I finish the meal. No problem with that in this recipe. It's packed with beans and tofu. My non-vegan husband really likes this meal so I make it a lot. Serves 2-3 people (usually two adults and a 3 year old with some left over for a lunch the next day).
What you need:
- ice berg lettuce for crunch
- Dandelion greens or any other leafy green
- Chopped tomato
- Chopped pepper
- 2 tsp oil
- Black eyed peas or any bean you like- rinsed
- one package of firm tofu cut in squares
- chopped onion
- 1.5 tsp chilli powder
- a few squirts of lime juice
- Nacho chips
1. Put down a layer of chopped lettuce and greens on your plates. Top with tomatoes and peppers.
2. Add a generous layer of salsa over your green. This will insulate the cool greens from the hot bean mix you add to the top later. Top with some Daiya.
3. In a frying pan or wok over medium heat, add the oil and the tofu and fry until golden. Add the onions and beans and cook until the onions are soft. Turn off the heat and add the chili powder and lime juice. Mix it all up and top your salad with it.
4. Crumple some Nacho chips over the whole thing and enjoy because it is awesome.